Well. There you have it. For years I have been saying that Wagener Terrace is a neighborhood on the rise, possibly one of the coolest neighborhoods in town because of its proximity to the heart of Downtown Charleston, its great people, and its relative affordability.
And the people have been listening. 🙂
I checked the sales numbers from January 1 of this year through today, April 17, at 4PM and compared it to sales in years past. Not only have we tripled the number of homes sold last year for this time period, but also we’ve got the top number of Wagener Terrace homes sold of ALL TIME (The previous record was 14 in 2005). Plus, median prices are up 20%, to the highest level of ALL TIME (The previous record was $282,280 in 2006)
Home Sales 2002-2012
Median Prices 2002-2012
So, will this momentum keep up? My answer is yes. There are 12 other homes under contract already this year, which as soon as they close (generally a month or two) will yield a total of 27 sales, and we’ll only be halfway through the year. To put this in perspective, in all of 2011, there were only 32 sales.
So why all the hoopla you may ask? Here are some reasons why Wagener Terrace is on the up and up.
- Great urban location with suburban amenities (a yard!). Close to MUSC, the Citadel, the gorgeous Hampton Park, and the heart of Downtown Charleston (less than 2.5 miles)
- It’s relatively affordable.
- There’s a new restaurant opening up in a very strategic location. This follows other restaurants and bars opening up along Morrison Drive.
- The James Simons Elementary School will become a Montessori location.
- Really nice neighbors. The community is generally close knit and supportive without being overbearing. It is also demographically diverse.
- And the piece de resistance – a little birdie told me that plans for a possible new public park with a floating dock have been circulating. Kayaking anyone??
Keep learning with these related posts